Re: Content type in documents with no XML declaration

* Pid wrote:
>Frequently, I don't put the XML declaration at the beginning of XHTML
>documents.
>According to appendix C1 of the XHTML 1.0 Strict spec, I may only use
>the two UTF character sets, 8 & 16, if I omit the XML declaration.
>
>Does this mean that a document that declares a different content type,
>using a meta tag (as below) is not valid?

If you deliver the document using an XML media type such as
application/xml or application/xhtml+xml and the document is
not UTF-8 encoded (a document can be ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 at
the same time) then it's not well-formed yes. If it is legal
UTF-8 it does not matter. If you use text/html this is much
less clear, and the W3C so far ignored requests to clarify
the relevant specifications.