Re: Does W3C Document License prohibit profiles?

On Thu, 2004/11/04 (MST), <link@pobox.com> wrote:

> Copyright in this instance would protect the text of the specifications
> document and not the standard described there as such. Protection for the
> standard itself would come from either Trade Secret (not applicable) or
> Patent (_hopefully_ not applicable) law.

I agree with the above and with the stated side-effects I stripped. A
standard defines an interface and an interface cannot be copyrighted. One
can clone, create any profile, or otherwise modify the interface
documented by W3C, and W3C cannot prohibit that through copyright law.
Trademarks and patents are a separate issue, as usual.

IANAL, TINLA,

Alex.