Re: Extension/Extensibility examples in W3C Specifications

The relationship between RDF Semantics and OWL Semantics might be
relevant to this discussion.

OWL Semantics (section 5) is explicitly an extension of RDF Semantics,
and RDF Semantics gives explicitly permission and prohibitions on
semantic extensions.

To give you a flavour of the difference ...

RDF lists are constructed in the same way as lisp lists, with each
element being formed by a pair of pointers - one to the next element
(using a property *rdf:first*), the other to the rest of the list
  (using a property *rdf:rest*). RDF Semantics says that usually these
lists are well-formed and finite, i.e. each part of the list has one
rdf:first and one rdf:rest, and the rdf:rest is either a list or
*rdf:nil* (the empty list). However, this is not given MUST force.
RDF Semantics specifies that semantic extensions MAY give these
constraints MUST force. OWL takes RDF up on this, and hence when using
rdf:first and rdf:rest in OWL, the lists MUST be well-formed and finite,
whereas the same construct in RDF does not have these constraints.

====

So:

OWL uses an extensibility point that is in RDF.
The meaning of an RDF construct is changed by reading it in OWL.

I think that is an extension ... using a defined mechanism.

It is also permittted to make other sorts of semantic extensions (not
just ones that have been preplanned), but there are a few key MUST NOTs
about a semantic extension, that ensures a degree of interoperability.

I'll be happy to review extensibility text in light of this experience
(and the OWL and RDF experience in light of extensibility text).

Jeremy