Re: Proposed Quality Tip -- Time in URIs (was URI Usability)

I originally commented on some of the difficulties in time in URLs, such
as periods, etc.  I suggested that there was no general solution to this,
and rather than trying to provide a solution you simply flag the need to
apply the QA guidelines sensibly and flag areas of difficulty.

The current proposed tip seeks to provide examples which I don't think are
scalable and universal.  For example /2004/w12/6/ is clearly English
language specific.  Also dates and periods don't always start from 1 Jan.
For example in (UK) Universities week 10 may be in Decemeber, as the start
of the academic year begins in September of October.

There is a danger that people may treat a document on the W3C Web site as
providing authoritative information on time strings in URIs.

Brian

Brian Kelly, UK Web Focus
UKOLN, University of Bath, BATH, England, BA2 7AY
Email:  b.kelly@ukoln.ac.uk     URL:    http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/
Homepage: http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/b.kelly/
Phone:  01225 323943            FAX:   01225 826838