Re: [DRAFT] QA Tips - Gif versus PNG

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, olivier Thereaux wrote:

> On Friday, Sep 19, 2003, at 00:54 Asia/Tokyo, Karl Dubost wrote:
>

> > This is a draft Open for comments for future publications
> > Draft - PNG vs GIF
>
> <http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/png-gif>
>
> I suggest we move this Tip out of draft status. I think Alex had a
> few remarks about it, and is welcome to suggest rewordings, but
> otherwise it seems the Tip was well received.
>
> Karl, Alex, are you agreeable to this?

I am not in a position to agree or disagree with draft status changes.
I am just an outside reviewer. I find it annoying that explicitly
solicited and specific comments are "addressed"  by a "write specific
fixes!" response. Please do not expect me to become a co-author of
this 10-sentence tip by contributing specific text.

As of today, the draft still contains stale text ("expires in the USA
on June 20, 2003"). The draft is still missing any information
regarding patent expiration dates in countries other than US.

My overall comment remains the same: either the draft should be made
balanced OR the strong but implicit preference towards PNGs should be
made explicit. The draft reads like a piece of FUD against GIF, and I
expect better from a W3C QA tip.

Finally, there are no tips in this draft. A "tip" is a suggestion,
advice, or recommendation. The draft does not contain any, does it?

Alex.

P.S. I am not a GIF advocate or anything. FWIW, Factory software
     that makes reports from test results uses PNGs by default. I am
     just doing QA on the draft, nothing else.