Re: OpsGL QA-commitment-group

At 12:17 AM 5/8/2003 -0600, Lofton Henderson wrote:

>At 08:54 AM 5/7/2003 -0600, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 7 May 2003, Lofton Henderson wrote:
>>
>> > CP1.3: Commit to complete test materials. [Priority 3] Conformance
>> > Requirements: the WG MUST commit to produce or adopt a complete Test
>> > Materials before Recommendation, where complete is defined as: at
>> > least one test case for every identifiable conformance requirement
>> > of the specification.
>>
>>I apologize if I missed the discussion about it, but not all
>>"identifiable conformance requirements" are testable and, hence, can
>>have at least one test case. Should "testable" qualifier be added?
>
>I don't have a problem adding such a qualifier.  Objections anyone?

I object.  The reason is that I don't accept Alex's premise.  Every
requirement should (MUST) be testable. (In fact, I thought this statement
was included somewhere in our guidelines) If  a requirement is not
testable, it should be reworded to be testable or be eliminated from the
specification.  If it can't be tested, it can't be verified that it was
done correctly and is, thus, of no use.  Adding the suggested qualifier
would sanction having non-testable requirements.

Mark

Mark Skall
Chief, Software Diagnostics and Conformance Testing Division
Information Technology Laboratory
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8970
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8970

Voice: 301-975-3262
Fax:   301-590-9174