Re: High-Quality Dynamic SVG Viewer

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Tobias Reif wrote:

> Jim Ley wrote:
>

> >>- [...] The answer is to create a temporary well-formed
> >> version of the partial download (close all open tags, etc) and
> >> then render. [...]
>
> >This is a sensible approach, and I fully support it.
>

> How should the app do "close all open tags, etc" for the following?
> (Real question :)
>
> <foo>
> <bar>

> <foo>
> <bar>
> </bar>
> </foo>

Yes.

> or
>
> <foo></foo>
> <bar></bar>

Since the <bar> is a child of the <foo>
in the content you've got so far you can't
close it this way.

Of course, the specification has to be clear on a few
things, such as (but not limited to):
- what to do with required children
- what to do with currently invalid references
- what type of error handling when it realises that
  the content is incorrect

If it makes everyone happier, the Adobe SVG viewer
has been doing this for a couple of years now without
any trouble (as far as I know).

Dean