Re: discussion of LC comments on Extensions

My point was the following.  You responded to the point that the new
chapter will have a DOV caution by saying that you disagree that we should
tone it down because "extensibility is #1 on my interoperability list of
evils."  The DOV caution (which I guess is the "toning down") applies to
DOVs in general, not extensibility which is just one of the many DOVs.

10:54 AM 4/28/2003 -0600, Lofton Henderson wrote:
>[switching thread to www-qa....]

>>>I have made an alternate proposal, which has been linked from the issue
>>>list for some time:
>>>
>>>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa-wg/2003Apr/0026.html
>>>
>>>I disagree that we should "tone it down" -- extensibility is #1 on my
>>>interoperability list of evils.
>>

>>Extensibility does not equal DOV.  DOV has to do with variability.  Every
>>technique for variability does not "extend" the standard.  Subsetting,
>>for example, does not extend.  rather it organizes things differently
>
>Hmmm, I'm not quite sure that I understand your point.  Extensibility is
>one of the (current) 8 DoV, and has been such since June 2002.  From "4.
>Definitions":
>
>dimensions of variability
>the ways in which different products that are conformant to a
>specification may vary among themselves. In this Specification Guidelines
>document, the dimensions of variability are used to help organize,
>classify and assess the conformance characteristics of W3C specifications
>
>Extensibility certainly fits as one of the ways in which conformant
>products may vary amongst themselves.
>
>My original point was that, while acknowledging the reasons for which
>specs allow extensibility, we should also keep strong caveats about the
>consequences.  In my (direct) experience, there have been few cases
>(none?) in which there is not some interoperability downside, regardless
>of how well justified the use of extensibility might be.  If someone were
>to offer an example (no interop downside), it would be interesting to include.
>
>In the balance, it may indeed be that the benefit of extensibility exceeds
>the cost.
>

>-Lofton.

Mark Skall
Chief, Software Diagnostics and Conformance Testing Division
Information Technology Laboratory
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8970
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8970

Voice: 301-975-3262
Fax:   301-590-9174