Re: Glossary

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Karl Dubost wrote:

> At 22:20 -0400 2002-05-23, Mark Skall wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure where the "validation" definition came from. Tying
> >validation to a document is way too restrictive.   The definition we
> >usually use is "the process necessary to perform conformance testing
> >in accordance with a prescribed procedure and an official test
> >suite."
>
> In a case of the HTML validator you don't have a Test Suite.

"HTML validator" is, essentially, a "Test Suite", isn't it? I know
that the current definition does not imply that but it should be
possible to have a single term that describes all validators,
including test suites. "Validator"? It should not matter, for the
purpose of the glossary, whether we are validating compliance with a
protocol, a markup language, or whatever...

Alex.