Re: Testable assertion tagging for W3C specifications

I completely agree with Scott's sentiments here, as well as with Charles'
in the previous message of this thread.  Because testability of
specifications should be a priority issue, and not a afterthought, the QAWG
is taking up this aspect of the QA Framework now.

In mid-May, we expect to publish 4 WD members of the Framework family plus
two checklists (see the overview table at [1]).  Amongst these working
drafts will be the first public Working Draft (FPWD) of "Specification
Guidelines" and its companion checklist.  You can see a preview of these
(Editor's drafts) at [2], [3].

The topic of spec anatomy (grammars for authoring) is addressed in the
Introduction, and in Guidelines 12 and 13.  Discretionary behaviors were
mentioned in this thread, and we address those in Guideline 8.  This is
just the FPWD now, but we (QA) view this as the start of a major project --
both the development and progression of this specification, and work on
actual techniques (specific markup).

One comment in the thread was interesting -- the startup hurdle of
switching to xmlspec suggests the utility of a half-way step, such as some
class definitions for XHTML authoring.

By the way, these techniques -- markup to enhance testablility, location of
test assertions, and even direct generation of test suties -- are not
speculative.  They're in use now.  An example that we have looked at in
QAWG is DOM.

Regards,
Lofton.

[1] http://www.w3.org/QA/WG/#docs