Re: Special W3C Test license for publishing Test Materials

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Lofton Henderson wrote:

> In fact, a proposed license was presented and discussed briefly at
> the Montreal (14 June) face-to-face.  It is on the action item
> list to post a version for WG discussion, and integration with
> Operational Guidelines.  Stay tuned for that discussion.

Great.

> This relates to a closed issue [2] which considered whether W3C
> should endorse or take positions on test suites.  The resolution
> was "no".  But QA is interested to apply assessment tools (such as
> future "Test Guidelines")  and publish the results without further
> taking any position on goodness/badness.  The resolution was that
> such external suites would be linked from TheMatrix as long as the
> owners did not object to linking of such results along with the
> test suites.

I agree with this resolution. It looks like it is likely that 3rd
party suites will be discriminated against suites which are developed
with W3C WG "active participation", but I am not worried about this
aspect since HTTP WG is dead.

It would be cool if QA WG could decide to either limit its scope to
W3C WGs or to avoid any bias, but that is too much to ask: It is nice
to claim to be focused on all "products and services related to W3C
technologies" to "improve the quality of W3C specification
implementation in the field", but catering to current WGs is more
important, of course.

Thank you,

Alex.