Re: W3C's XHTML QA plan

At 11:16 -0600 2002-01-28, Shane P. McCarron wrote:
>The TDG members have not discussed the possibility of making it
>available to non-W3C members.  Our purpose here is to create a test tool
>for the benefit of the W3C community, and in particular browser
>manufacturers.  If you feel that this must include non-W3C members, I am
>sure we can work that out.

yes I (and I guess the community as large) would like the TDG members
take this direction:

	The avaibility of the test suite "must include non-W3C members"

It would be a benefit for the community and I'm sure that the
community will be happy to use a test suite which has been built by
companie X, Y and Z (one of the benefit - recognition in the
community).

>In terms of license text, I expect it would look something like the
>classic Perl Artistic license, or the classic X Window system license.
>These basically say "you can do whatever you want with this, providing
>the license remains the same and providing people can still get the
>original, classic version".

Thanks for the clarifications, Sharron.

>Basically, I am continually surprised that you do not do more for
>the exclusive benefit of your members...  If everyone can use
>everything, then what is the incentive to become a member?  The WAP
>Forum restricts their test suite licenses to their members as a
>benefit of membership.

http://www.w3.org/Consortium/#membership

Please do not comments this on this mailing-list. If you want a
follow-up on it do it on www-talk@w3.org.

Thank you for your understanding.

--
Karl Dubost / W3C - Conformance Manager