Re: conformance vs. compliance

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Lofton Henderson wrote:

> To answer Alex's later suggestion "explain why" -- I would think it
> enough to say that we're deprecating it within the Framework
> documents (hence within QA) for the sake of consistent terminology
> (see SpecGL checkpoint 13.4, "Use the same words to express the same
> ideas."). If it is felt necessary that we explain why we chose
> conformance versus compliance, we could point to the (currently
> greater) legacy of abuse of "compliance".

And, perhaps, add a checkpoint discouraging marketing of conformant
implementations so that "conformance" does not get abused in a few
years?

	Bad marketing folks SHOULD use "Compliant with W3C
	standards" terminology, while the good people should use
	"Conformant with W3C recommendations". [Priority3]

Alex.