Re: One reason why certification is important

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Rob Lanphier wrote:

> Microsoft has backed down, but that's not the issue.  What is the
> issue is that the news article doesn't challenge Visse's
> implication that Opera and Mozilla are less standards compliant
> than IE.  I'm sure that if there was a certification mark to be
> had, both the Opera and Mozilla development organizations would
> seek it out as a defensive posture against such attacks.

... which would be a waste of time/money for both Opera and Mozilla
teams since it would have no effect on MS behavior and on mass-media
coverage. You do not really think that MS will never attack a
certified product, do you? More reporters are also unlikely to dig and
think just because there is a certification program out there.

	One of the primary MS goals in this context is to make users
of non-MS products feel uncomfortable. The [certified] quality of
non-MS products has nothing to do with it, and will not affect MS
strategy much.

	There may be reasons for Opera and Mozilla to get certified,
but MS is not among those reasons.

Alex.