Re: Is standarisation of Web terminology in scope for QA?

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Brian Kelly wrote:

> W3C did do some work in this area some time ago, as part of the Web
> Characterisation activity - but this work stopped some time ago.

For a related, albeit more technical and narrow work, see RFC 3040:
	http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3040.txt

> "a session is use from the same IP address within a 30 minute period"

Virtually all IP-based server-side definitions are bogus because of
[HTTP] proxies and other Web intermediaries that aggregate traffic
from many IPs (which is why the above RFC may be useful for those who
try to define sessions and other client-server interactions).

> Would addressing this issue be within the scope of the QA activity?

Not in my opinion. QA can encourage WGs to develop and use terminology
documents, but it should be WGs responsibility to define the terms
they use. Besides, "Web terminology" is too broad of a scope to allow
for practical standardization (IMHO).

Alex.