Re: Outline for Umbrella Specifications in ViS

Le 05-06-21 à 10:00, Tim Boland a écrit :
> Finally, in answer to the question "Why does a WG choose to define
> a Web technology by having multiple specifications?" , in the case
> of CSS, some communities of interest approached the CSSWG about
> specific needs for their platforms (for example, cell phone, PDA,
> television, printer, speech synthesizer, etc).  Results
> of these approaches may be various CSS profiles.    More
> information on the various CSS levels and profiles (and their
> respective "applicabilities") may be found under the "CSS
> Specifications" part of [4].

To clarify a bit my position on CSS profiles and why I consider that
a profile is NOT an umbrella specification.

How do you answer these questions?
     - What is CSS 3?
     - Why CSS 3 is useful to me?
     - Where can I use CSS 3?
     - What are the requirements to develop a CSS 3 authoring tools?
browsers? library?

For example, I read in the Web community sometimes, people waiting
for one of the feature of CSS 3 in their browsers, but there's no CSS
3 profile for browsers.

I wonder how a developer will know about the list of profiles
available for products.
I wonder how an author will know how to choose CSS 3 properties for
his/her pages except by reverse deduction of what has been
implemented in some browsers or a large number of browsers.

In the current page you gave, it is said

[[[
CSS level 3 is under development. It includes all of level 2 and
extends it with new selectors, fancy borders and backgrounds,
vertical text, user interaction, speech and much more.
]]]

:) not very informative.

I go to under development which goes to CSS: under construction
     http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work

There's a link in this page to
     http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-roadmap/

Which is called "Introduction to CSS 3"
     Last Published: 23 May 2001

Abstract:
[[[
The members of the CSS&FP Working Group have decided to modularize
the CSS specification. This modularization will help to clarify the
relationships between the different parts of the specification, and
reduce the size of the complete document. It will also allow us to
build specific tests on a per module basis and will help implementors
in deciding which portions of CSS to support. Furthermore, the
modular nature of the specification will make it possible for
individual modules to be updated as needed, thus allowing for a more
flexible and timely evolution of the specification as a whole.
This document lists all the modules to be contained in the future
CSS3 specification.
]]]

Hmm not quite an introduction but more a roadmap.

Too bad because it could have been an Umbrella specification giving
the relationships, the constraints, and a real introduction to the
technology.

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***