Re: Umbrella Specifications Discussion

Le 05-06-15 à 09:34, Dominique Hazaël-Massieux a écrit :
>> To clarify my ideas about it, I would maybe define an umbrella
>> specification as a document which covers a complete Web technology:
>>      - by introducing the technology (Primer)
>>      - by enumerating the sibling documents and their interactions
>>      - by defining the different kind of conformance requirements
>>
>> It's the entrance gate to a technology.  (personal opinion on it).
>
> I guess the question remains to me "what is it that we want to say
> about
> this concept that deserves a name and a definition?". In other
> words, I
> have no problem calling what you describe above an umbrella
> specification, but what do you think are special about these? What is
> going to be the core of the discussion about it?

A profile is not, for example, a Primer, so is disqualified in my
model ;)
I have trouble with the question you are asking.  "special", what do
you mean?

In fact it's maybe the term which is almost not very well chosen:
Umbrella Specification. When I start discovering a technology by
looking at a document which defines it, there will be more than one
scenario.

* The Web technology is entirely defined, explained, presented in
only one document.
or
* The Web technology is defined in multiples documents that can be
parts of the technology, modules, profiles, etc.

In this second case, as an implementer/user, I want to be able to
know what is it about and how everything is tied together.

     Umbrella Specification -> Modules
     (Extended Primer)         Profiles
                               Parts
                               etc.