Re: SVG11 / SpecGL review assignment

Le 02 janv. 2005, à 14:40, Lofton Henderson a écrit :
> can't decide -- 2 -- (I am unable to decide the answer [y/n/na]
> because of the way SVG11 modularizes, but leaves profile definition to
> other specifications (e.g. Mobile11)).

Can't decide is often a Not Applicable.
With regards to the things you are mentioning later on in your review,
it's again a case of technology versus document problem IMHO and it's
really a tricky situation.

>> 4.1.B: If the technology is subdivided, then indicate which
>> subdivisions are mandatory for conformance.
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-qaframe-spec-20041122/#subdivide-
>> mandatory-principle
>> YES/NO/Not Applicable: Explain why?
>
> Uncertain of answer.
>
> SVG11 defines a modularization of SVG,
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/intro.html#Modularization .
> But mandatory modules are not addressed, and the modularization is
> defined for the use of other specifications, to write profiles:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/intro.html#Profiling
> In particular, the separate specification SVG Mobile 1.1 defines Tiny,
> Basic, and Full profiles.  That not withstanding, "Full" mentioned in
> the SVG11 Profiling sub-section, as being equivalent to all of SVG
> (i.e., the union of all of the modules).
>
> So I'm uncertain how to answer the question as stated in SpecGL,
> because of the partitioning of SVG11 and Mobile11.

which tends to prove that there is a difference between a specification
(unique W3C document defined by the process document) and a technology
which can be composed of many specifications.

Umbrella Specifications when not defined becomes then a problem to
evaluate the quality of the defined technology.

> Note.  SpecGL says, "1.  Create a section in the specification
> dedicated to extensibility; 2. Call it Extensions".  Why not "Call it
> Extensibility?"  It seems silly to dedicate it to extensibility and
> title it "Extensions".

I have no opinions, except that extensibility is not an english word...
but well many of the words we are using at W3C do not exist in a
dictionary.

> Some of the "can't tell" are because the GP is written as a process
> requirement.  Therefore not ascertainable to an external reviewer.
> (Since I have been involved with SVG, I could guess an answer as an
> insider.  But ... if it's not reflected in the spec for all to see, I
> put "can't tell").

can't tell = n/a, IMHO.
It's not possible for you to evaluate and then it's why they are not
mandatory. SpecGl is not a tool for external reviewer but for people
editing specifications.

Many many thanks for the review Lofton. I have kept track of all
reviews so far in a file.

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***