Re: [SpecGL-impl] xml:id Last Call

While getting ready for my own review, I did some spot checking of other
reviews.  While I haven't looked at much of them very carefully, this bit
caught my attention -- I have a problem with this Requirement (2.2.A) of
SpecGL.

Karl writes that xml:id satisfies it...

>2.2.A: Identify who or what will implement the specification.
>http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-qaframe-spec-20041122/#implement-principle
>YES/NO/Not Applicable: Explain why?
>         YES
>         http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xml-id-20041109/#intro
>         In the introduction explain that the xml:id specification gives a
>uniform mechanism for XML processors and XML document to create
>identifiers for XML Schema and DTD.

This Requirement derived from the earlier Checkpoint about "identify
Classes of Product".  CoP were items for which the specification defines
conformance requirements.

I can't see how the referenced text in xml-id satisfies a requirement to
identify classes of product.  This Introduction text only contains some
vague  generalizations about what xml:id is for.  If it was our intent, in
our attempt to avoid scary technical jargon, that xml:id passes the
successor Requirement (2.2.A) to the original CoP requirement, then I think
we have gone too far.

IMO, what the referenced #intro text in xml:id says about conformance and
Classes of Product is relatively worthless, and fairly obscure as well.  If
it is our intent that xml:id passes that SpecGL requirement, then I think
we have made the requirement much too wishy-washy (in other words, it is
relatively worthless, IMO).

Regards,
-Lofton.