Re: Idea for participation in WWW2004 (longish)

On Tuesday, Oct 7, 2003, at 04:10 Asia/Tokyo, david_marston@us.ibm.com
wrote:
> I noted the Call for Participation for WWW2004 [1] and looked for ways
> that I or QAWG could participate, aiming to broaden the buy-in for the
> Guidelines documents and other activities to come. Given the rapid pace
> of the QA work, I think a panel is a good idea.

I'd second the idea of a panel as medium of choice. Most probably the
best way to have a lively session about rather dense topics.

> Detailed topic: discussing how the W3C (through WGs) will present a
> more
> integrated view of its requirements in the future, by providing tests
> in
> addition to specs. This is hard to do with volunteer/contributed
> efforts
> in the WGs.
>
> Panel: mix of points of view among a purist/idealist, pragmatist,
> victim
> of poor past practices, implementer of a W3C spec, possibly a spec
> editor,
> possibly a trainer/author. (Other ideas?) Moderator is a QA
> professional.

Why not include spec authors from other bodies? I am certain the panel
moderator could choose participants clever enough to be constructive
and resist the "troll appeal". There is some danger to that, but I feel
this could be more rewarding than a "W3C only" panel, which, with the
already ample W3C track, may not please the organizers much anyway.

--
olivier