Re: Fwd: Re: raw draft minutes

Here are the Thursday morning minutes with David corrections and also the
Patrick's due date for action #7.

Sandra

QA Working Group Teleconference
Thursday 6-March-2003
--
Scribe: Sandra I. Martinez

Attendees:
  (KD) Karl Dubost (W3C, WG co-chair)
(PF) Peter Fawcett (RealNetworks)
  (DH) Dominique Hazael-Massieux (W3C - Webmaster)
(LH) Lofton Henderson (CGMO - WG co-chair)
(SM) Sandra Martinez (NIST)
  (LR) Lynne Rosenthal (NIST - IG co-chair)
(MS) Mark Skall (NIST)
(OT) Olivier Thereaux
(DD) Daniel Dardailler (W3C - IG co-chair)
(DM)David Marston
(PC) Patrick Curran (Sun Microsystems)

Summary of New Action Items:

A-2003-03-07-1: Action to Peter to send comments to the  form for OpsGL. By
Tuesday, March 10.
A-2003-03-07-2: Action to Lynne to include Ian Jacob’s comments into the
form for SpecGL. By Tuesday, March 10.
A-2002-03-07-3: Action to Patrick to review to QAWG charter. By end of next
week
A-2002-03-07-4: Action to Lofton Updating the QA PD template and message to
chair list  March 20
A-2002-03-07-5: Action to David to draft resolution to issue 23.
A-2002-03-07-6: Action to Lynne to write checkpoint to reflect resolution
of   issue 107 march 20
A-2002-03-07-7: Action to Patrick to circulate a set of suggested list of
attributes that will lead to collapsing the checkpoints in GL 1. March 14
A-2003-03-07-8: Action to Peter to combine GL 2 and 3. By Friday, March 14.
A-2003-03-07-9: Action to Patrick to restructure of the guideline 4.

Peter initiated the meeting providing a brief summary of the results from
the break out team’s review of the Process document using the process
document template.  The activity resulted in a set of comments that are
going to be incorporate in the OpsGL comments form. Patrick took this action.
Lynne will incorporate Ian Jacobs’s comments into the SpecGL comments form.

As a result of this review, Lofton recommended that a review of the charter
should also be done. Patrick took the action of performing the review.

TestGL issues resolution

Issue 13: Is inter-standard or multi-standard interoperability within the
QA scope? Issue raised in email thread (DM, 2001-11-07, 2nd pgph).
             MS: There are no requirements for interoperability. We need
specific checkpoints.
  LR: The requirements for interoperability are being addressed in other
specifications. If they are represented in those specifications they are
going to be tested.

            LF: This is an old issue, just noticed the e-mail that was
generated.

           DM: The intention of this issue was related to pipelining of XML,
meaning expected interoperation between different specs.

           MS: There is a problem with the way we are capturing the issues.
LR: This type of information should not be included in the TestGl at this
point. We need to keep this document simple.

KD  Agree. The TestGl needs to be simple and this will not prevent writing
a separate document to address clarification items.

PC  Also agree to keep the document simple. Put some words in the document
about extensibility/optionality. Propose to address this in the SpecGl, not
in TestGl.

LH : Propose to cut and paste clarification into the body of the
issue.  Also propose to go with Lynne’s proposal.
The issue is closed.

Issue 79: Should Test Guidelines address how to write a good test suite?

           LH: A similar issue on SpecGL.
LR: This deals with the comment I raised about providing an overview of the
test development process, addressing general concepts and the test
development process.
PC: Are you referring to the question of what is conformance testing?
LH: This kind of information should not be part of this document. The
intent of this document is not to be a tutorial.
MS: It should be part of the scope.
KD: Recommend modeling the introduction after the WCAG introduction.  A
primer should make it easier to read the specification, not understand
(explain) the specification.
DM: QA framework introduction could be used.
LR: Close the issue. The scope statement should include general
clarification for the document.
Issue closed.

Issue 107: Differentiate between test materials for CR and those for Recs.
LR: Explained her concern on TestGl not addressing a test suite development
based on the state of the specification. Writing a test suite for CR might
have a different objective than writing a tests for a recommendation. For
example: for CR the objective may be to test the specification, whereas a
test suite for a Recommendation targets interoperability of the
implementations. The TestGl is not allowing flexibility for CR.
DM: Verbiage should be included in the document to cover these areas.   The
test suite development is a constant process of checking the specification,
from WDs onward, including after Rec (exposing needed errata).
The test cases can also be used as clarifying examples, and may help the WG
write an airtight spec. But the same tests are still useful after Rec if
they still are "correct" against the verbiage that the spec editors
ultimately put in the Rec.
SM:  The process of developing test cases for a test suite should not
change; the working group is responsible for identifying the areas to test
based on a particular state in the specification development process.
LR: I agree, but the way this document is written it does not allow for
CR.  Something should be included in the introduction or scope. I am just
not happy with the structure as it stands right now.
LH: A checkpoint will be appropriate to address this issue.
PC: It is a matter of coverage and completeness. Coverage is barely defined
in the TestGl.
LR: It is up to the working group to determine the coverage. I am not
particular on how is done, usually test suites for CR are smaller and more
focused.
DM: WG delivers only one test suite. Sounds like you are talking about
different test suites. Recommend adding a checkpoint.
LR: A WG may have multiple test suites for different parts of a
specification or for different applications of the specification. The
introduction or scope should also include something about the fact that a
working group might have multiple test suites for a particular specification.
LH  Propose to accept Lynne’s proposal of adding a checkpoint to cover this
issue.   The components of what needs to be address should included in the
checkpoint
Issue Closed. Lynne will write a checkpoint to for resolution to this issue.

  Issue 23:  Should tests of MAY/SHOULD assertions be part of a conformance
suite?
This issue was discussed at the f2f March meeting, after more discussion it
was decided that Mark Skall will raise the issue in SpecGL to nail down the
circumstances and David will to try to draft a resolution.
Issue closed.

Outreach report
David Marston presented the results of the XQuery and XSL outreach. There
were two areas that generated discussion; reporting results and associated
claims of (near) conformance.  It was recommended to have an example of a
disclaimer or a boilerplate to distance the WG from any ill-formed claims
concerning the results. In regards to the test assertions a discussion on
completeness was generated. The WGs were also concerned about separate test
assertions as opposed to tagged content in the Rec, because they abhor
saying the same thing in two places. Tagging was believed to raise
concerns, some words are more important than others. David added that if
this is an issue for some people it could be something we need to recheck.
The concern was centered on the side of the test assertions that ties to
the specification, no much was discussed in the area of the test assertions
leading to test cases. Other than this, the group was basically asking
clarifying questions.
PC: It is a complex process to identify assertions, it is a major task.
DM:  Complexity of expression and recursion can complicate things even more.

Lynne’s comments on TestGL.

Comment 1:  Prior to the Guideline section, provide an overview of the test
development process, addressing general concepts and the deliverable path,
i.e., spec test assertions test cases reporting maintenance. If possible
the guidelines should follow this progression. Also, describe the key
aspects of a test suite: traceability, verdict criteria, self-explanatory,
valid, short/atomic.
This comment was discussed during the issues section (79) it was agreed
that the scope statement should include general clarification.

Comments 2: The importance and need for traceability back to the spec must
be clearly conveyed.
The comment was accepted by the group.

Comment 3: Make clear that there is no order to satisfying the CPs, as long
as at the end of the day, they are satisfied.
This comment is making reference to the order of satisfying the checkpoint.
Lynne added that it is when the test suite is finished, that all the
checkpoints need to be satisfied. She further recommended that we should
make that statement up front. The group agreed.

Comment 4: Although we can’t assume that the OpsGL and SpecGL were
followed, but if they were, some of the CPs may already be satisfied we
should provide a table cross-referencing where this occurs.
Lynne explained that we can not assume that a checkpoint was already done.
The editors should include a note to make a table for cross-reference.
Given the status of document a note should be included indicating that it
was already done.
LH : This table is not trustworthy until LC.

Comment 5: Since we advocate developing test materials for CR, we should
explain that test materials for CR may serve a different purpose and have
different coverage than test materials for Rec and this is O.K.
         Already discussed as part of issue 107.

Comment 6: Can we incorporate some of the ideas from other WGs SVG and CSS
have good test documentation, explaining not only how to build tests, but some
of the test suite principles.
         Lofton recommended there be a list of possible discrete
deliverables in TTF. The group agreed.

Comment 7:  Although the formatting changes necessary for the GL and CPs
will help, try to keep it simple.
  Lynne added that she had a difficult time with the order of the
guideline. We should adopt the logical process from the tester. Organize it
better.
PF: This is what GL 1 does, probably needs to be made more explicit.
Changing the wording of the guideline will help.

Comment 8:  Suggest a separate Guideline for Test Results and
Reporting.  It should also mention something about EARL.
LR: All this stuff got merged at the end.  It should stand out, there are
also too many check points.
DM: What kind of action you think is expected from the results?
LH:  Providing a result management tool, then include an example in
Ex/Tech. Also, the guideline should not mention EARL.
LR: There is more to say at a higher level related to the sorting and
reporting capabilities in ck 5.2. A checkpoint should suggest reporting of
result, something to make reporting consistent across implementations.
KD: More of describing what to do and how is organized.
LR: Also have a concern with the word framework in the title of guideline
5, it seems to be focusing on recording a framework.

Comment 9: CP 1.1 Identify the target set of specifications being
tested.  How extensive does this set need to be? For example, DOM must use
valid components of other specifications, so would it be necessary to list
all those specifications? Is this target set limited to those specifications
that are explicitly being tested rather than those specs that are utilized?

Everyone agreed that the language need to be worked out and the checkpoint
need to be formatted the same way the SpecGL and OpsGL was done. The whole
guideline needs to be restructured.

Comment 10: CP1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9: Related to discretionary choices.
These CPs are related and breaking them into separate CPs has resulted in
confusion as to the difference between them What is the difference between
“defined ambiguously” (cp1.7) and “contradictory behaviors” {1.9)? Suggest
combining, as: Identify behavior: undefined, ambiguous, and contradictory.

Patrick will circulate set suggested list of attributes that will lead to
combining the checkpoints. Lofton expressed concern about the priorities,
but David commented that after combining the checkpoint will become a
priority one. Patrick added that the way this is going to be presented is
not imposing is providing choices.

Comment 11: CP 2.1 Document the structure for the test suite and GL3
Document the testing methodology. What is the difference between these? I
think there is a difference, but my simple mind is having trouble making
sense of all this.

  Patrick agreed that the distinction is not clear and suggested combining
GL-2 and 3 and speaking more in term of the language.  If not combined they
should be reversed in order.
Peter took the action to combine the Guidelines.

Comment 12: CP 3.2 Identify publicly available testing techniques. What
does ‘testing techniques’ mean? How is this different from test automation
and framework?  How much of a search for these techniques needs to be done?
Comment is moot due to previous action.

Comment 13: CP 4.1 List available test frameworks and applicable automation
and justify why new frameworks are needed…..
a) Define these terms and their scope. How is this different from 3.2?
b) Why must a justification be given who is the justification for? This may
be adding extra work on the WG with minimal if any benefit.

Lynne added that the default is not to provide automated frameworks and
that we are being unrealistic. Patrick suggested that all the automation
checkpoints need to be collapsed into one checkpoint; he added that if we
are going to do automation we need to provide good guidelines. Lynne also
suggested using the ideas from the VML presentation to include test case
management.
The group agreed to restructure GL 4 to include automation and test case
management.

Comment 13- 17
These comments are going to be covered by the restructure of the guideline
4, mapping the process from beginning to end by looking at the structure.
Patrick took this action. Action due two weeks from Monday.

Comment 18: CP 5.2 Ensure the ease of use for results reporting.
Demonstrate results reporting has sorting and filtering. Why is this P1?
Although nice to have, why is sorting and filtering required?

Comment already discussed.

Sandra I. Martinez
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8970,
Gaithersburg, Md. 20899