Re: Legal Issues (Was: QA Framework Last Call -- request for review)

[Note.  I replaced qa-chairs@w3.org with www-qa-wg@w3.org, since these are
substantive comments about the OpsGL license-related checkpoints.  -LRH]

Joseph,

Thanks for prompt feedback -- 1 wk before Last Call starts!  ;-)

I apologize if we were unclear about this, in our solicitation for
commitment to review.

Fortunately, the qaframe-ops text (20030120) that you looked at is
substantively identical to the LC version that will be published on Monday,
10th February.  So we will apply your comments to the LC version.

Since Last Call will be in progress during Tech Plenary week, I wonder if
you could visit us in QAWG (Thur-Fri face-to-face)?  We have gone around
quite a bit on this by email, and I think it would be much more easily
solved with a little discussion.  I know that Kirill has further rejoinder
to you on that thread (mentioned below) about why Microsoft (MS) cannot
submit test materials (TM) that will be redistributed under Software
License or Document License.  The QAWG tried to find an acceptable middle
ground -- somewhere between elevating TM license to the highly visible W3C
level of Software License and Document License, on the one hand, and saying
nothing to the concerns of potential contributors like MS, on the
other.  It seems that we may have missed the mark.

Any case, it would be easier to finally sort out face-to-face, IMO.

Regards,
-Lofton.