Re: QAWG response to OpsGL comments

Jon,

At 01:35 PM 8/8/03 -0500, Jon Gunderson wrote:
>[...]
>All I am asking for is the people developing a specification need to
>explorer and document accessibility issues as a part of their groups
>design work.  The specification needs a section describing the
>accessibility features and problems of the spec.  [...]

While there may be differing views about your request, in this thread the
discussion now seems to relate only to Specification Guidelines (SpecGL).

This thread started with a message to you [1], asking if you were satisfied
with QAWG's response [2] to your comment [3] on the Last Call WD of "QA
Framework: Operational Guidelines" (OpsGL).  I think perhaps we can resolve
the OpsGL question, without resolving the larger topic.

You original OpsGL issue (LC-56) [3] talked about accessibility testing and
said, "...may require having a specific person in charge of defining and
monitoring the inclusion of accessibility features".  This is the
operations-related part of the comment, in our view.

What we (QAWG) intended in our resolution of your issue, but it may have
gotten lost, is this...

The issue of whether or not there is accessibility testing and what it
would look like are topics for SpecGL and TestGL.  The topic of a "specific
person" would indeed relate to OpsGL.  However, it is the QAWG's belief
that an additional specific person is not needed, regardless of the
resolution of QA/WAI scopes.  *If* it were decided that the representation
and enforcement of certain WAI policies belonged in SpecGL and TestGL, and
were within the scope of QA's responsibilities, then the monitoring of
those policies would automatically be part of the job of the "QA
Moderator".  OpsGL requires that each WG appoint a QA Moderator, who
oversees all aspects of all QA activities in the WG.  A separate person
would neither be necessary nor desirable.

We (QAWG) want to move forward with OpsGL (SpecGL is lagging behind by
about 4-6 weeks).

Considering only OpsGL, does this resolution (as hopefully clarified now)
satisfactorily address your OpsGL issue LC-56?

Regards,
Lofton.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa-wg/2003Aug/0008.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/QA/WG/2003/08/OpsGL-DoC