Re: A few comments on SpecGL -- GL.8

Dave,

This is one of a few replies -- I'm breaking your comments into several pieces.

At 05:27 PM 7/30/02 -0400, David Marston/Cambridge/IBM wrote:
>[...]
>GL 8: A new checkpoint to comment on interop? I'm opposed right now,
>because I think the questionnaire or pro forma addresses this well
>enough.

GL.8 (0729) says, at the end of the GL verbiage:  "The ICS is also helpful
in describing the expected interoperabliity to be achieved with other
implementations or applications of the specifications."  The ICS doesn't
actually describe it (I14Y, that is), or require that it be
described.  More accurate would be, "The ICS also provides basic
information that can be used to assess and deduce the interoperability
potential of two or more products."

"Implementation dependent" in a specification is too often a last resort to
maintain WG publication schedule when consensus can't be reached -- I've
been there, done that!  I can't recommend the practice -- in my experience,
it has been one of greatest causes of interoperability wrecks.  Though I'd
like to, we can't ban it with a priority 1 checkpoint.  But we can force
specifications to explain and justify it.  That in itself can be a
deterrent, IMO.

Other opinions?