Re: Organisational Reminder

At 10:56 AM 8/8/02 +0100, Andrew Thackrah wrote:

>[...]
>  I'm already getting 'spammed' with three copies of each mail now and this
>  is getting a wee bit annoying - hitting Reply and cc'ing to www-qa-wg
> results
>  in the reply-to recipient  getting 2 copies - and now an extra copy from
> www-qa.
>
>I'm all for keeping the discussion off www-qa-wg

I think we're agreed to try this.  But if we do have to switch lists for a
thread -- i.e. if someone starts on www-qa-wg -- I'd like copies to
continue to go to www-qa-wg as well.  I use the archives a lot, and IMO
spam (multiple copies) is a lesser evil than broken threads.  (Unless
someone can suggest a better solution.)

>  ...I definitely agree that we should restrict www-qa-wg to logistics and
> private chat.
>  If we want to discuss open QA issues let's just post them to www-qa

Fine.  We need to keep in mind, however, that the charter is specific that
WG is responsible for reaching resolution on the issues, and rightly so --
we need to have a team of regular participants for issue closure to be
effective and efficient.  We can see how the process shakes out -- we
typically close issues in telecon anyway, or at least verify/confirm
closure in telecon.

Also as Dimitris pointed out, this stuff isn't for everyone -- I suspect
some will consider it spam, and are satisfied with summaries, minutes
pointers, and NweeksinQA.  (Not our problem, you can't please everyone!)

>  And perhaps create www-qa-ig to give the IG its own forum to discuss IG
> specifics

I'm generally against a third list, but that's IG's concern and
decision.  We have been struggling for a year with proper use of two
lists.  I can see the same dynamic emerging with a third list, if not very
carefully scoped -- something starts on it that really ought to be on
www-qa, or evolves into www-qa business.