Re: Downloading (fwd)

On Tue, 29 Aug 1995, Al Coslor wrote:

> Hi, I am making a homepage, and I was wondering how to make it so that
> people can download a certain file from my page.  I tried going
> <A HREF="file://www.cnw.com/~castoff/file.exe>file.exe</A>
> but that didn't work to download.  It thought that my account was an ftp
> site or something.

Just make your link an HREF to the file itself, exactly the way you would
reference an html file. That way you leave the downloading up to the
browser which typically asks the user how they want to handle it. On
Windows/Netscape, this opens a save file dialog box for the user to
specify the download directory and filename, and then the transfer is
initiated.

Using your site as an example type:

<A HREF="file.exe">file.exe</A>

The browser will handle mapping the source URL and current directory
(where the HTML doc came from ) onto the file name.

If you want to point somewhere else put the explicit path in as mapped
from your server home.

Hope this helps.

David.

David F. Dumaresq                               | email: david@kwantlen.bc.ca
Programmer/Analyst, Info. Systems & Computing   | http://www.kwantlen.bc.ca
Kwantlen University College, BC, Canada         | Tel/Fax: 604-599-2120/2320

           "The world is one country and mankind its citizens."