CFV: comp.infosystems.harvest

The following Call for Votes appeared in news.announce.newgroups today.

>From jamesm@dialogic.com Wed Jul 12 23:10:24 EDT 1995
Article: 797 of news.announce.newgroups
From: jamesm@dialogic.com (Mark James)
Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,comp.infosystems.gopher,comp.infosystems.www.misc,comp.infosystems.www.providers,comp.infosystems.www.users
Subject: CFV: comp.infosystems.harvest
Date: 12 Jul 1995 23:22:26 -0000
Sender: tale@uunet.uu.net

                      1st CALL FOR VOTES (of 2)
              unmoderated group comp.infosystems.harvest

Newsgroups line:
comp.infosystems.harvest	Harvest information discovery and access system.

Votes must be received by 23:59:59 UTC, 2 Aug 1995.

This vote is being conducted by a neutral third party.  For voting
questions only, contact Mark James <jamesm@dialogic.com>.  For questions
about the proposed group, contact Duane Wessels <wessels@colorado.edu>.

Once it appears in news.announce.newgroups, this CFV will be sent to the
following mailing lists:

        www-announce@mail.w3.org
        www-proxy@mail.w3.org
        harvest-users@cs.colorado.edu

CHARTER
-------

The proposed newsgroup is intended as a place for users of the Harvest
software to help each other and exchange ideas.  The Harvest development
team will monitor the group and reply to technical and other appropriate
messages.

Harvest has a number of software components: a gatherer/content
extractor, a broker/indexer, a cache, and a replicator.  The proposed
newsgroup will be an appropriate place to discuss each of these
subsystems.

Example topics may include:
        - How to customize a broker.
        - Porting Harvest to an unsupported platform.
        - Organizing a large replication group.
        - Suggestions for features and improvements.

RATIONALE
---------

At present we have one mailing list for new release announcements, and
another mailing list for users to ask the Harvest team technical
questions.  We are getting an increasingly frequent stream of requests
for a forum where users can communicate among themselves.  Additionally,
Harvest related messages have been appearing in various
comp.infosystems.www.* newsgroups where they may be inappropriate.

We believe there is now a sufficiently large user base to warrant a
separate group.  As an indication, at present there are Harvest servers
installed at hundreds of sites worldwide, with new servers being created
and registered increasingly often.  Also, there are Harvest users at
over 10,000 sites in 90 countries.

HOW TO VOTE
-----------

You should send E-MAIL (posts to a group are invalid) to:

      jamesm@dialogic.com

Just replying by E-MAIL to this message should work, assuming you are
reading this using standard newsreader software.  Your mail message
should contain one and only one of the following statements:

      I vote YES on comp.infosystems.harvest
      I vote NO on comp.infosystems.harvest
      I ABSTAIN on comp.infosystems.harvest
      I CANCEL my vote on comp.infosystems.harvest

You may add a comment, or use other wording, but only a definite,
unconditional, unambiguous statement for or against the creation of
comp.infosystems.harvest will count as a vote.

Neither ABSTAIN nor CANCEL messages are counted as votes; they serve
only to cancel any previous vote.  Abstentions are noted in the final
vote list, whereas CANCEL removes your vote from that list entirely.
(This is the only difference between the two.)

If you later change your mind you may vote again; only your last valid
vote will count.

All votes will be acknowledged by E-mail.  If you don't receive an
acknowledgment within a few days of your vote, vote again.  It is your
responsibility to make sure your vote is registered correctly.

Standard Guidelines for voting apply: no more than one vote per person,
no more than one vote per account.  If you attempt multiple votes or
other vote fraud, all your votes may be canceled and your name published.

RESULT
------

The complete vote list will be posted with the vote result, including
how each person voted.  Note that Usenet votes are not done by secret
ballot.

There will then be a five-day period during which the published vote
list may be corrected and any irregularities addressed.  The
requirements for group creation are 100 more YES votes than NO votes,
and 2/3 of all counted votes being YES.

--
Mark James  <jamesm@dialogic.com>
Dialogic Corporation                     | "You have violated Robot's Rules