Re: Summary - Will browsers support multiple proxy servers

 > [... about what to do when the primary proxy server fails ...]

What's wrong with putting two A records in the DNS?

I didn't check the source of any WWW browser, but I hope they'd cope
with multi-homed servers.  If a request to one address times out, they
should automagically switch to the secondary address ...

	% setenv http_proxy http://http-proxy/
	% www

DNS zone file:

	server1		IN A 1.2.3.4
	server2		IN A 1.2.3.5

	http-proxy	IN A 1.2.3.4
			IN A 1.2.3.5

This should also distribute the load between the two servers, as newer
nameserver implementations (at least BIND) shuffle the addresses.  Of
course, both servers will have different caches, which is suboptimal,
but I don't think this will hurt too much.

\Bernhard.