Re: Looking for pointers

> >I would say that the choice of caching server directly affects the machine
> >that you need to use. The CERN server is a forking server and with any
> >significant traffic will destroy all but the fastest machine.
>
> I think the new Netscape proxy server is a threaded implementation so
> will probably outperform the CERN server at busy sites where the forking
> overhead really starts to be noticed ....

The Purveyor server for Windows NT (Process Software Inc) is also a
proxy server using a threaded model.

How many different proxy server implementations are there?  Anyone
know of any more?

Regards,

Chris Adie                                   PLEASE NOTE NEW ADDRESS &
Edinburgh University Computing Service       PHONE/FAX NUMBERS!
James Clark Maxwell Building                 Phone:  +44 131 650 6773
Kings Buildings                              Fax:    +44 131 650 6552
Edinburgh EH9 3JZ, United Kingdom            Email:  C.J.Adie@ed.ac.uk