Re: Looking for pointers

> We are about to put into effect a very large proxy/cashe server. This one will
> not be just for one campus, but for all campuses in the country (no joke and
> this is not being sent on the 1st).

> I am looking for anyone that may have some expertice with handling a very large
> area. At this time, I do know that I will have 7 to 8Gb of disk space for cashe.
> I may have to cut it down just a little, a Gig or so, for the local non
> proxy/cashe server.

> The only thing that we have not picked as of this time, is the machine and op
> for it. We will be running the Cern V3.0 server.

> Looking for any ideas or pit falls. No pointers to the warning.gif please.

> Al

I don't have information, just superstition. I was trying to
performance tune our proxy/cache server and wound up reducing the
cache size, just based on 'first principle' reasoning without looking
into it more completely.

The main thing I was worried about was that cache lookup in the CERN
server might take time linear (or worse) to the size of the cache. The
cache entry for http://foo.baz.com/stuff/doc

is in the directory cache/http/foo.baz.com/stuff

but I think it must have to do a linear search in the cache/http
directory to find foo.baz.com; that directory is likely to grow to be
very large. (For a 600 MB cache that's been running for a while, we
have 1149 entries).

Clearly, this is something that you could optimize in a variety of
ways.