Re: Tim Berners-Lee Approves Patent Policy

Hi:  Field of use is useless.  The term is death, smelly death,
obnoxious death, and ridiculous!!!

How I really feel about the term, is that it is beyond problematic.
Now, suppose we required that all W3 standards be registered with the
Creative Commons Project.  Suppose we required all field of use
crappolla to be identified, or, if not, automatic waiver would be
implemented under the registration?  That way, the bad guys would be
right out front where we can see them.  And the specific standard could
be shoved into the second class citizen level, by the "market".  What do
you think?

In the meantime, it appears there is a need for a standards body to be
formed that pursues standards without encumbrances.  A standards body
that the world community can rely upon for open, free standards.
Tom Poe
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/