Re: Restrictive Patent Usage

Federico Heinz wrote:
> Article 2 [of the GPLv2] says:
>
> "2.  You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of
> it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute
> such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided
> that you also meet all of these conditions:
>
>     * a) [stuff irrelevant to this discussion -- FH]
>
>     * b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
> whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part
> thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties
> under the terms of this License. [Note the recursion here! -- FH]"
>
> So I can use the code to create derivative works, as long as they are
> distributed, if at all, under the GPL. This means that if I distribute
> the code, I must grant the recipient the right to use *any part of my
> code* in derivative works distributed, if at all, under GPL.
>
> The problem is that I can license my program under GPL all I want, but
> it would be void, since I don't have the right to grant you the ability
> to "modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus
> forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such
> modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above,".

This is the crux of the matter.  We probably need a lawyer or two
to go over it and see if they agree with your interpretation.

Anyone know a lawyer who won't get dizzy trying to interpret a recursive document?

I wonder if a "for the purposes of implementing this standard, or as part
of a work licensed under the GPL" amendment would fly.
- Dan