Re: [Moderator Action] P3P; Partner Referred URL

Dear Ted,

what you actually describe is caused by the default privacy preferences
shipped with IE6.

IE6 blocks cookies from third parties (not the same host), that
have no privacy policy attached. This means, you have P3P-enable
your site. If a third party cookies comes with a P3P policy it
will be accepted with the default settings.

It will depend on your privacy policy, whether the cookies is
blocked by those users having set even more secure preferences.

The P3P Preferences of IE6 are explained on Microsoft's
Web-site[1].

As you are using cookies, please note that IE6 reacts for the
moment only on the compact policy format[2] of P3P, which is
transported in the headers.

You might choose a P3P-editor to help you implement P3P, please
see the implementations-page[3]. For further help, how to
configure your web-server, please see the P3P-Deployment
Guide[4].

Please be sure to provide the compact policy already in the
header of the set-cookie HTTP-request.

  1. http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q283/1/85.ASP
  2. http://www.w3.org/TR/P3P/#compact_policies
  3. http://www.w3.org/P3P/implementations
  4. http://www.w3.org/TR/p3pdeployment

Best,

--
Rigo Wenning            W3C/INRIA
Policy Analyst          Privacy Activity Lead