Re: innovation

If  you are interested in the early history, I think the concept for P3P was
actually "born" in the AT&T Infolab during May of 1996 and first presented
by Paul Resnick of AT&T (now on the faculty of the Univ. of Michigan) at the
FTC Workshop in June 1996.  I was a Visiting Professor in the InfoLab that
summer.  The project started as an adaptation of the PICS technology and
eventually became known as P3P.  The transcript for that FTC workshop is at:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/privacy/wkshp96/pw960604.pdf .  Paul Resnick's
presentation is at pp. 79-90.  For the demonstration, I wrote a vocabulary
based on the CSA privacy standard.  There was also a second vocabulary based
on the EU Directive that illustrated how much more complicated it would be
to code the directive.  These original vocabularies are available at
http://www.privacy.fgov.be/conference/pt4_2.html#part6  (they were attached
to a paper I gave on using filtering technologies for privacy at the 19th
International Conference of Data Protection Commissioners in 1997).

Best regards,

JRR

Joel R. Reidenberg
Professor of Law and Director of the Graduate Program
Fordham University School of Law
140 W. 62nd Street
New York, NY 10023
Tel: (212)636-6843