Re: emma:node anchoring on signal time axis

Thanks, Michael and all, for your explanation.

While the intended use of emma:start and emma:end inside an emma:arc is
now clear to me, I cannot affirm the same about the overall issue of
time anchoring an emma:lattice.

As I understand it, the current version of the specification allows two
mechanisms for anchoring an emma:node:
an absolute anchoring, by means of emma:start and emma:end, and a
relative anchoring, by means of emma:offset-to-start related to
emma:time-ref-uri and emma:time-ref-anchor-point set for the whole
emma:lattice.

If, as you announce, the absolute anchoring is removed, the possibility
to anchor emma:node will remain thanks to the relative mechanism. But,
as the whole relative anchoring is at ìrisk of removal due to potential
lack of implementationî (from ìStatus of this Documentî), the answer to
the question ìCan an emma:node  be anchored to time?î seems to depend
more on current and known implementation needs than on a solid
ontological model of the ìsignifiedî of an emma:lattice.

I will therefore try to elaborate my concerns and my personal view on
this issue, a view which I understand could go well beyond the focus or
the interest of the Workgroup.

I see at least three conceptually distinct time axis, which we can
ìinput time axisî, ìmodel time axisî and ìoutput time axisî.

The input time axis is the time axis of the received (by the sensor)
input signal, while the output time axis is the time of ìreplayî of the
annotated signal (a trivial example can be subtitle presentation).
In the middle, the model time axis which is the temporality, if any, of
the object model representing the event source of the signal. Here the
emma:lattice.

Leaving aside for the moment if the emma:lattice has an internal
temporality, I now understand that emma:arc.emma:start and
emma:arc.emma.end anchor the emma:arc to the input time axis, that is
they identify the part of the input motivating the label of the
emma:arc. If annotation is a function, the input time axis is its
domain, while the values of the labels are in the codomain.

Symmetrically, a label could be anchored to an output time axis. In the
case of subtitles, to allow time to read it, the presentation of a
label often last longer than the segment of the replayed signal
motivating that label.

This distinction of time axis between object model and input (output)
signal was at the origin of my misunderstanding of
emma:arc.emma:start,end periods, more than the nature of the
emma:lattice itself. It is a point easy to lose sight of, and actually
in your answer even you seem to end up mixing the two when, after
pointing out that time pertains to the label, you comment ìthe end of
the arc [..] may be later thenÖî. Please forgive me for being so picky
on your words, but they show how much that point needs to be stressed
in the presentation of EMMA. Even suggesting tags which more explicitly
refer to input and, why not, to output signal time axis.

A couple of side notes on this, about timescales and number of input
signals.

The current specification prescribes timestamps in ìmilliseconds for
ease in processing timestampsî. It seems to me quite a strong
restriction, fitting more an API than a ìdata interchange formatî,
especially in a multimodal environment. Wouldnít it be enough to have a
default to ìmillisecondsî while leaving the possibility to specify
other unites (including samples, percentage, etc.)?
About the number of input signals, the source event could be received
through multiple inputs (from a couple of microphones up to more
complex sensor arrays). There are multiple situations where the
recognition of a communication event is the result of elaboration and
fusion of the projections of that event on different sensors. I would
say that EMMA cannot currently handle that situation, focused more on
annotating the event projection inside a single signal than on
representing the event as pre-existing its registration by any single
sensor. It would be useful to leave room for this. Just as a teaser,
think about describing the McGurk effect in a ìhuman recogniserî,
keeping into account also the delay of the visual information, whose
transduction takes some 20msec more than the acoustic one.

We arrive then to the temporality of the object model. Iím afraid I
cannot agree with you when you mention ìa typed text stringî suggesting
there the lack of ìa time sequenceî, as it is not a simple set but a
true sequence of discrete linguistic units, and the order in the
sequence is definitely a temporal one. Tense-relationships are there
well defined, though it is true that those units cannot, alone, be
anchored to an external Time Of Day absolute or relative timescale. The
way I see it is as if the syntagmatic axis of the string were a ìshower
curtainî with its well defined holes for the hooks, independently of
actual hooks ìanchoringî each hole, and therefore the curtain, to the
bar, which would be a ruler-like time axis. The anchors (the hooks) put
in relation the (internal) time axis of the string (the curtain) with
an external time axis (the bar) which provides a more useful timescale.

Every single path in an acyclic directed graph has the same kind of
ordered discrete units and internal time scale that a ìtyped text
stringî has. Actually, it seems to me that, conceptually, the graph of
an emma:lattice and the graph of an ATLAS Annotation Graph coincide
when there are no alternative paths, for EMMA, and only one annotation
layer, for ATLAS.
I argue that an emma:lattice does ìnecessarily have to correspond to a
time sequenceî, because the expression of the ìrange of possible
interpretations of a signalî, corresponding to the paradigmatic axis,
takes only part of an emma:lattice, as I understand it, while most of
the emma:lattice produced by a good (robust?) recogniser has
syntagmatic meaning.

Always at conceptual level, I think that EMMA and ATLAS Annotation
Graphs could converge to a unified data interchange format able to
account at the same time for:
- temporality of the syntagmatic axis of the object model
- anchoring of the syntagmatic units to input and output time axis
- paradigmatic choices (both in production and in recognition)
- multilayer annotation

Out of such a unified format, if necessary, restrictive profiles could
be defined to simplify the treatment in specific applications (serving
the same purpose of the millisecond restriction in the current EMMA
specification).
This would allow a much broader applications than the ones foreseen in
the W3C Multimodal Interaction Framework, reaching out to linguistic
human-to-human and psycholinguistic annotations.

I stressed that this is at a conceptual level, with the object models,
because at a representation level, with the data models, the
ontological statute of arcs seems to be quite different in EMMA and in
ATLAS. As I understand it, emma:lattice is kept very close to an
automaton, while I guess that a unified representation would demand the
automaton to be extracted from a potentially more complex graph.
Anyway, I suggest that in ìmaking clear that lattices represent
abstractions of the signalî, you elaborate the rationale for this
ìlimitationsî imposed to the emma:lattice.

Thanks again for your attention and for your work,

  	Paolo Martini