Re: emma:node anchoring on signal time axis

Dear Michael and all,
I appreciate the intentionally well delimited scope of EMMA 1.0 and the
adequacy of the current draft to it.

In order to better clarify the description of that scope, I would
suggest rewording and elaborating the Introduction statement:
"The language is focused on annotating the interpretation information
of single and composed inputs, as opposed to (possibly identical)
information that might have been collected over the course of a dialog.
The language provides a set of elements and attributes that are focused
on accurately representing annotations on the input interpretations."

1. Is "composed inputs" the same of "composite input" defined in the
Terminology?

2. Following the Terminology at 1.2, "interpretation" appears to be
signified and "user input" the signifier. "annotation" seems to be used
a bit ambiguously: it is my understanding that the common significance
of "annotation" is the association - act or product of the act - of
content, at any 'meta-' level, to a region of a signal.
"accurately representing annotations on the input interpretations"
seems therefore to refer to content associated to the signified (as
indeed do attributes like emma:cost, emma:process, etc.). Nevertheless,
EMMA seems to provide also a way to represent the interpretation itself
- mainly with literals - besides being open to include any application
specific representation, but it is not clear if it is an accessory
function or a foundation one.
Together with "Interpretations of user input are said to be derived
from that input, and higher levels interpretations may be derived from
lower level ones. EMMA allows you to reference the user input or
interpretation a given interpretation was derived from", the issue
becomes even more evident when comparing the expressive power of
emma:interpretation and emma:arc to represent alternative
interpretations (as advertised in "Lattices provide a compact
representation of large lists of possible recognition results or
interpretations"):
- an emma:interpretation has an "id" while an emma:arc needs "from",
"to" and the signified to be identified (i.e. difficult reification of
emma:arcs)
- an emma:interpretation has emma:tokens to refer to user input, while
an emma:arc can only refer to a time region of the input signal

I would suggest adding examples lattice representation of two-level
analysis, like
a vocal /bo/+?+/ton/ to orthographic "Boston" and alternative "Bolton"
and then a "Boston" and "Bolton" to the semantic interpretations "BOS"
and "TZR"
How does the second lattice refer to "Boston" and "Bolton" of the first
lattice? Maybe, the situation could be addressed with
emma:interpretation, but then the whole idea of the lattice as a
compact representation fails. And anyway, while emma:tokens could refer
to the orthographic "Boston" and "Bolton", I cannot find an IDREF
attribute to refer to the "id" of an "emma:interpretation".

Furthermore, an emma:interpretation can specify emma:process while
emma:arc cannot.

3. About the attributes: "id","from","to", etc. are indicated without
"emma:", but, lacking other namespace indication, will end up
inheriting the NS of the element to which they belong, that is "emma:".
A more consistent indication could help reading the specification.

4. By the way, could "ref" be replaced by a common xlink:href ?

I am sorry to be so picky - though I hope at least relevant  - on what
could be minor details of this version, but I am worried that, at the
moment of future extensions of the scope, they could force major
changes or awkward solutions to maintain backward compatibility.

I would therefore suggest the following additions:

- Allow optional "id" attribute to emma:arc (and evaluate using it also
to replace "node-number").

- Allow optional emma:tokens to emma:arc.

- Allow optional emma:process to emma:arc.

- Add an attribute of type IDREF to reference emma:id and allow it
wherever useful.

- Add to emma:arc a type- or class-like attribute, with default to an
empty string or null value allowing to consider of the same "type" all
the arcs without the attribute. This could be a solution to a compact
representation of the two-level analysis previously described (ex.
type="orthographic" and type="semantic") but it would allow also
experimenting on the already discussed integration with other
annotation types without asking modifications to consumers following
the current draft (assuming they ignore, as they should, attributes
they don't understand).

Best regards,

    Paolo Martini