RE: Issues and future work for CC/PP

Hi Mark,

Those are valid questions, and thanks for the pointer to the
SIP CC/PP draft.

We envision rich client devices characterized by large profiles,
with many - if not most - of the attributes being dynamic.
Furthermore, these attributes would be changing values frequently.
At the same time, a given server or applications on a server, may
only be using a subset of these attributes in customization. Given
this scenario, the current profile-diff scheme would send a large
number of attribute values for every request to a given server, from
which the server application may use only a few.

Below are thoughts on possible mechanisms to make the attribute
exchange more efficient. Some of these are easy and can be fit into
the current exchange protocol.

1) Compressing the profile information sent out using CCPPEx.
The exchange protocol notes that WBXML could be used for reducing
the size. It is essential then to enable mandatory server-side support
for compressed profiles.

2) Pre-negotiation (or negotiation as part of first request/response)
between the client and the server on profiles/attributes used and
desired by the server.

The negotiation may be enabled through repositories in various ways.

1) The use of independent repositories, similar to that outlined in the
SIP CC/PP draft.
1.a) Thus, the client can update repositories with changes to profile,
and the server may only query for a subset of attributes.
1.b) Conversely, a repository may hold information about the CC/PP
attributes used for customization in a given web space (server/path)
which the client can query to decide which attribute values to send.

2) The client maintains its own repository of profiles, which the server
can query before sending a response.

Obviously, some of these solutions are much better than others. But
the goal in writing this is to provide some ideas on our thinking. If you
have any questions please let me know.

Thanks
dvk