RE: Issues and future work for CC/PP

Hello,

Our list of proposed work items is around the following issues:
1.	Consideration of Dynamic Properties
2.	Dealing with Multiple Vocabularies

Consideration of Dynamic Properties :
============================
Emerging high-end mobile devices distinguish themselves in their ability to
adapt to changing computational requirements and environmental conditions.
For example, power management policies adapt the speed of the processor
based on remaining battery capacity, application workloads, and quality of
service requirements. For network services to participate in the adaptation,
the state of the client device must be communicated as conditions change.
Current implementations of CC/PP and the various transport mechanisms do not
handle rapidly changing attributes efficiently. Thus mechanisms that
efficiently represent and convey dynamic properties in CC/PP profiles need
to be considered.

Example Usage Scenarios

1.	Several PocketPC devices are capable of changing screen brightness
and properties either through user preferences, or automatically as a result
of change in ambient lighting. Thus, a property such as 'ScreenState' could
have values such as 'Backlighted', 'HighContrast', 'LowBrightness', which
would change during a browsing session. If these changes are efficiently
conveyed to a content server, the server may be able to decide upon image
content using the optimal tradeoff between bandwidth and device state.

2.	Rich client devices permit user preferences for power management
features along with the ability to monitor current battery state. Evaluation
of such preferences with regard to current state can dynamically change the
values of certain properties, such as 'AllowJavaApplets', which could help a
content server decide upon the appropriate form of content.

Dealing with Multiple Vocabularies
==========================
While certain vocabularies such as UAProf will be pervasive, there will be a
need for other distinct and complementary vocabularies for certain device
classes. Efforts towards a standard, core set of attributes supported by all
servers is necessary. At the same time, it should be possible to negotiate
and match profiles from different vocabularies based on those supported by
the server, and those available on the client.

Thanks
dvk

Dhananjay V. Keskar
Emerging Platforms Lab