Re: Validation in CC/PP

Mark thank you for your clear answer and for the given references

 >>What exactly are the "semantic advantages" of RDF?

There are a lot of papers that have been discussed the RDF semantic and its benefits

(for web semantic, information databases, etc.). The RDF WG of the W3C cites many

interesting articles about this (http://www.w3.org/RDF/)

I can say quickly that in an RDF application we can distinguish which data represents

the semantic and which data are just for syntactic use. RDF can be used, for example,

for semantic web and gives interesting results if server resources are stored in RDF.

(An interesting application of RDF for images describing can be found in:

http://www.tasi.ac.uk/2000/09/rdfmeta/ ). RDF ensures a simple way of expressing and

processing a set of logical assertions. A logical assertion or a 'statement' can be written

simply with giving the subject, the predicate and the object, e.g. The screen (subject)

has the dimension of (predicate) 240x320 (object). Logical assertions included in a content

(a document profile, or other) can be processed by the server and can be matched

automatically with other logical constraints (such as the device constraints in terms of

screen size, etc.) in order to resolve them and to give an adapted content.

The RDF serialization is another problem, it concerns the representation of RDF. The

W3C have developed the RDF XML serialization:

http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-rdf-syntax-19990222/ but this is not the unique serialization.

Notation 3 is a plain text serialization of RDF developed by Tim Berners-Lee

(http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Notation3). (Some work consider that N3 is easier to use).

>>different ontology representations onto a common framework developed by >>John Sowa[1].

I'll try to take a look on that.

Best regards

Tayeb*
Tayeb Lemlouma
http://www.inrialpes.fr/opera/people/Tayeb.Lemlouma/index.html
Opera project
National Research Institute in Computer Science and Control (INRIA Rhône-Alpes, France )
Office B213, phone (+33) 04 76 61 52 81, Fax (+33) 04 76 61 52 07.