Re: CHTML browser simulators??

On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 02:45:48PM +0900, Martin J. Duerst wrote:
> At 09:24 00/03/10 +0530, Lanka Ravikumar wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does anyone know if simulators for CHTML browsers are available?
>
> Well, what exactly do you want?
>
> If you mean Compact HTML as submitted to the W3C, you can
> run an HTML doc againts its DTD, and then view it on any
> browser. You can set the font and make the browser window
> smaller to get a better impression of what the phone user
> may see.

This may be a vague simulation, but surely not a realistic
representation. You may as well say that as MS Internet Explorer and
Netscape Navigator are just HTML browsers, you can know what something
will look like in one by displaying it in the other.

The current batch of WAP phones don't support windowing and each
UI element tends to take up the entire screen. For instance, what would
be a drop down list box in Internet Explorer could be a screen filled
with an enumerated list in a WAP phone. This is nothing to do with
markup, but everything to do with the phone environment (no rich GUI
toolbox that can be called, limited input available eg. no mouse, limited
memory available to software).

It is a very reasonable request to ask if a simulator of a CHTML phone
is available, as an HTML browser would perform a rather poor job of this.

> > By simulator, I mean something like UP phone simulator for CHTML.
>
> The good thing about things based on HTML is that you don't
> need any simulators, you can use the real stuff.
>
> Regards,   Martin.

Andrew Scott .................... http://purl.oclc.org/net/andrewscott/
Telstra Research Labs, Melbourne ......................................