Re: Fw: wap competitors

> Just as a reference, the WAP forum's next generation
> protocols and architecture groups are examining this
> very issue.
> With a high level goal of convergence with the Internet,
> they are exploring moving to Internet protocols.
> Similar to what you mention, the introduction of
> TCP as a transport and XHTML as a markup language
> are on the table.

This certainly seems to be a very sensible thing. I never really figured out
why they needed to re-invent everything in the first place! I guess some
work will also be required on the TCP front to accomodate the high latency
characteristics of wireless networks.

If this does really happen, does it mean that all the investments in WML
microbrowsers and other WAP technologies will be chucked out of the window?
Do you know what timeline they are looking at for this transition?

Kaushik