Re: XHTML Basic Working Draft has been published

Gary Adams - SMI Software Development <gra@zeppo.East.Sun.COM> wrote:

> Since XHTML Basic is derrived from the XHTML 1.1 modules, it is important
> to make sure that XHTML 1.1 has sufficiently fine grain modules defined, so
> that significant endorsement can be made for the Basic subset based on
> specific functional need for the common subset which should span current usage
> of WML and Compact HTML features.

On the other hand, there are concerns that if we make modules too
fragmented, it would result in less interoperable variants.  Indeed
we have studied usages of WML, Compact HTML, i-mode HTML, MML and
so on, and if we try to define the "common" subset of those "current"
languages, very few features will be left.  We are trying to create
a "reasonable" subset, not the "minimum" subset.

> I believe the current XHTML 1.1 basic text module contains more features
> than are expected on the lowest common denominator devices. Would it be possible
> to remove items such as code, samp, and var from the basic text module?

The HTML WG has already discussed this issue.  The consensus was to
remove presentational elements but keep phrasal elements.  Elements
like code, samp, and var are considered as phrasal elements, so we
didn't move them out of the Basic Text module.

I'm sure different people have different opinions on what should
constitute "basic" features.  And from content provider's side,
if we make XHTML Basic too "basic", it would be less attractive
and fewer people will use it.  Balancing those rather conflicting
needs is one of the most difficult part of this work.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium