Re: Reservations about <mchar>

> There is more to this than just CPU. Deprecating entities means
> they are going to be obsoleted/removed in the next versions.

I don't think it means that, in fact I just looked it up in Chambers,
which offers (amongst less colourful definitions)

"to invoke or beseech with a view to the averting or withholding of evil"

I would expect that the entities would _always_ be allowed for as long
as DTDs are allowed (ie always in pure XML 1.0 contexts)

It might be that if schemas take off that some higher level protocols
end up only supporting xml + schemas and explictly not <!DOCTYPE and
in such cases entities won't work whether we deprecate them or not.

> So some of us want to understand the issues

That's why I'm happy to run this thread on the public list as opposed
to the private smoke filled chambers of chateau w3c.

David