[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MathML 2.0 Last call

My short comment is about the names of the inverse hyperbolic functions
in MathML 2.0. The inverse trigonometric functions have prefix "arc"
The reason is that they return the angle (measured by arc on unit sphere).
That interpretation is not valid for hyperbolic functions. Their inverses
are (historically) related to area. Therefore the prefix for inverse hyperbolic
functions is "ar" (not "arc"):
<tt>or</tt>
One can double check it with reputable&nbsp; sources such as the&nbsp;
famous "Handbook of Mathematical Functions" by M. Abramowitz and I. Stegun.
(for instance&nbsp; Mathematica uses ArcSinh, ArcCosh, etc.) and it is
spreading. I have already seen some math books using it. I suggest the
return to traditional, correct, and meaningful names for inverse hyperbolic
functions before it is to late.:-)