Re: The disappointment and embarrassment of MathML (update)

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Pankaj Kamthan wrote:
> "No one would want to type a Mathematica file by hand and such is the same
> for MathML. The user does not necessarily need to understand or be aware of
> the data format since authoring and rendering environments will drive toward
> compliant user interfaces and away from cumbersome techniques as the user
> base increases."
[...]
> Authors therefore do need to understand the data format. That is
> essential for ultimate authoring control, among other things.

I agree with you.  That is why it is necessary to choose a
data format that is easy to read and write.

> "With regards to the verbosity of MathML and more generally XML/SGML, I
> would state that new advanced markup languages will be coming later with
> more features and enhanced data constructs.  But let's just use XML/SGML
> for now since it's a good solution in the short run."
>
> 1. Which 'new advanced markup languages will be coming later with more
> features and enhanced data constructs?' How will they circumvent the
> verbosity problem?

The verbosity problem was already solved four years ago (as well as
the representation and extensibility problems which XML was introduced
to address) when MINSE was completed and deployed.  See the working
implementation at http://www.lfw.org/math/.  For example, simply type

    <se> d = 'root(x^2 + y^2) </se>

into your HTML document and you can get a nicely rendered
equation from MINSE.

-- ?!ng