Re: Equation Editor in MathML

Hi.

> You write:
>
> : There is a recently released Mozilla beta (open-source version of Netscape)
> : that does MathML.
> :
> : http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/m13/mozilla-win32-M13-MathML.exe
>
> Very glad to hear that.

One correction.  I should have said *alpha*, not beta.

> Questions:
>
> 1.  Is the cited url a self-contained self-extracting archive that
>     requires no other retrievals?

It requires no other retrievals.  It actually appears to be a
self-extracting zip archive, so unpack it in the directory you want it
to live in.  When I unpacked it, I just double-cliked mozilla.exe and
it ran.

> 2.  Are there any sites that you would recommend as demos for MathML
>     viewed with Mozilla?

Not yet.  I put part of a test suite online with proper namespace
declarations and so on, so the tests do render.  But they are
technical and boring.  For what it's worth, its at

  http://www.webeq.com/~rminer/mmltests

I promised the Mozilla people I would try to create some further
documents to show off the MathML rendering, but I haven't done it yet.

> 3.  Does this Mozilla beta use a formatted object layer, say based
>     on an internal styling of MathML, or is it a direct renderer?

It is a direct renderer.

--Robert

Robert Miner                          http://www.webeq.com
Geometry Technologies, Inc.           email: rminer@geomtech.com