Re: New software coming soon

(I'm picking up on a thread from August 1998.)

Can anyone point to definitive directions for configuring major web
browsers, say NetScape under both Windows and X11 and MSIE under
Windows, to handle all glyphs that are available?

I want reliable information to give to our computing staff so that my
students will wind up with as many characters on their screens as
possible.

<rant>
It is a problem for us that special configuration steps apparently
still need to be taken.  After all, we've been handling our own needs
for years.  If these characters are not now easily accessible to our
students with HTML, they are not likely to be more so as XML capable
browsers come in.

For online student browsing it seems that I still need to render
know with a high level of confidence what the student will see.
I simply cannot rely on "&alpha;" as things are.
</rant>

                                   -- Bill