Re: MathML to HTML+gif?

>Our WebEQ software will do
>
>   HTML + MathML  --> HTML + images
>
>The choice of image format is unfortunately JPEG or PNG, which is less
>than ideal, but we have had trouble dealing with Unisys over GIF
>licensing.

I can live with JPEG.

>Another piece of
>WebEQ 2.3 that has been significantly improved is the batch
>translator, which is now very much designed to sit on a Web server and
>do translations on the fly.

This sounds very much like what I have in mind.

>scenes, WebEQ processes the input and serves up HTML + applets.  It
>could easily be modified to server up HTML + images however.

The HTML+applets solution doesn't work well for me. I use a Macintosh Netscape
browser and your Java applets work poorly in that environment: deadly slow
and only partial rendering of the equations.

In another vein how efficient is MathML as a transport mechanism over
networks? I was wondering whether its verbosity might make it too slow for
those with narrow bandwidth to the Internet (sort of like Postscript).
How does it compare with HTML+equations rendered as images.

Also will might MathML's relative complexity lead to buggy implementations,
tending to a babel of mutually incomprehensible dialects?

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz