Re: ÷ vs :

On 8 Sep 2023, at 0:10, Neil Soiffer wrote:

> As always, Cajori is an interesting read for those who want to know
> something about the history of math notation. It is also a reminder
> that math notation is an evolving topic. It gives a little comfort to
> me that if we don't get the naming of intents right, we will be in
> good company for not getting it right the first time.

Indeed the Cajori page really shows that things have emerged from a full
mess and that notations remain to be invented.

I was presenting the diversity of math cultures in a workshop on
Wednesday and tried to justify why  it is acceptable that math notations
is diverging. Among the arguments:

- Math is learned extremely early, that means that it is at the same
time as language for much of the concepts (so contexts of learnings are
different, and a big need of simplification is there)
- Math notation is often connected to elements of the language (so it
varies)
- Math notations are considered to be explainable: At least in the
course of a textbook it is not rare that authors will introduce a new
notation in a proper documented fashion. That means that forthcoming
authors have this right too!

The last statement is reassuring to me. There’s a lot of notations to
be enhanced for supporting understandability. The future has a some
space!

Paul