Re: MathML Core Meeting on Monday April 24, 2023

Right, I stand corrected on many fronts. Ouch and sorry. Thanks for the
excellent replies!

1. Yes, the severity comes from heights, not widths. To explain (not
excuse) my mistake, I started with the stack overflow bug report
(https://stackoverflow.com/questions/75621629/issue-with-mathml-rendering-of-matrix-like-formulas-in-chrome-for-both-on-mac-an)
about heights, verified it on my computer, and found the chromium bug
issue that already reported and verified it
(https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1419746). These
both focused on heights, not widths. Then I found Fred's note at
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1415218 and read
it too quickly, relying on what I'd seen on my screen, the chromium bug
report, and my knowledge of history.

2. I also followed Brian Kardell's link to your agenda, and read the
agenda items without following them. To a poor developer like me, they
looked like bug reports, not spec issues. In hindsight, I am an idiot.

3. Is it MathML Core policy that any web pages using it should download
a math web font? Or is this a temporary problem? Is there a good web
page explaining this (and recommending a solution) that I (jqMath) can
link to? I suppose I could change jqMath to automatically download a
math web font, but authors should be able to override the choice, and
need to understand this issue, I think. My confusion, and the stack
overflow issue and chromium bug report(!) which preceded it show that
the web font requirement is a surprise, even to those of us that should
know better.

Many thanks for your explanation. I do think this needs clarification to
us unwashed masses, though.

Cheers, Dave B.